01 February 2011

Bach and the Mohicans

I'm giggling at the conversation I have just had with my 9 year old son. We've always done music appreciation in our house and learned a little here and there about composers. Our kids have been listening to classical music since the womb. We're doing daily music appreciation lessons now. After Christmas we did a three week study of Vivaldi, and now we're in the middle of a three week study of Bach. Take the word "study" loosely here. We're reading a little from a book on Bach each day and listening to his music, and, both the books on Vivaldi and Bach allowed us opportunities to study the characteristics of Baroque art in general. It's simple, and the music is a great for enriching the learning environment for our other subjects. 

Today, Lukas was in charge of putting the Bach CDs in the player. He told me he put four CDs in the player and put them on random (and it only bothered me a little when I heard only one movement of a Brandenburg Concerto followed by Sheep May Safely Graze rather than the next movement my ear was expecting). I mentioned that I thought I had only put three CDs in the armoire, but maybe I was wrong. 

A few moments ago, the track began to play from Last of the Mohicans(which is the best movie soundtrack EVER!). 

I said to Lukas, "I thought you only put Bach CDs in the player?"

"I did."

"This isn't Bach. This is Last of the Mohicans."

"I know. I thought Last of the Mohicans WAS Bach."

I would love to believe I have genius children who are capable at the ages of 7 and 9 of differentiating between Baroque and modern, but, alas, I do not. No matter, there is great music in our player today!

No comments:

Post a Comment