19 September 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal
 
In my life this week...I am hoping that the Lord moves in a mighty way in two specific situations.

In our homeschool this week...we are learning about animal and plant classification, Spain and bull-fighting courtesy of this week's Five in a Row book, Ferdinand, penmanship through a variety of copywork exercises, the unfortunate consequences of Solomon's choice to turn away from the Lord, and learning to be content whether we have a little or a lot.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...If you have little kids, let them be little. Save the curriculum for kindergarten or even first grade, and then choose something like Five in a Row, which will give them the gentle start to learning that will teach them that learning is fun, exciting and worthwhile.

I am inspired by...families who have figured out how to leave a legacy of faith and love in spite of the baggage they may have once carried.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...we plan to see the  Bonars and my parents on Friday evening to celebrate Lukas' birthday (finally!!!).

One of my favorite things...reading and discussing a book with my husband.

What's working/not working for us...starting our school day mid-morning so that things like a good breakfast, piano practice and Bible study/quiet time are prioritized.

Questions/thoughts I have...Why do I sometimes feel like I am expected to do things the way other people do even though something better may work for our homeschool?

Things I'm working on...submission, speaking good words only and prioritizing school over household duties and errand running.

I'm reading...Family Driven Faith by Voddie Baucham. Go. Get a copy!!!

I'm cooking...a crock full of ham and beans and from-scratch corn bread in my iron skillet (we read When I Was Young in the Mountains last week, and this is a similar meal to the one Grandma makes in the book. This is our first opportunity to actually prepare it).

I'm grateful for...Monday. Everyone seems to dread it, but, most of the time, I love Monday because I love the way I spend my days.

I'm praying for...my headache to GO AWAY!!!

A quote to share..."The idea that motherhood, fatherhood, and family are not as honorable as high-income careers or highly visible ministry positions is biblically uninformed at best and grossly heretical at worst." Voddie Baucham in Family Driven Faith.

No comments:

Post a Comment