10 October 2011

The Homeschool Journal

 
In my life this week...the Lord is lifting my spirit.

In our homeschool this week...We didn't have school today. The rest of the week looks a lot like last week. We'll be reading a couple more picture books that take place before the Civil War and comparing them to Follow the Drinking Gourd, and we're working on learning a few tunes including Follow the Drinking Gourd, Michael, Row Your Boat Ashore and Wade in the Water. And I'm chording. Yeah. If you know me, then you know how terrible that sounds, but I'm doing it, which is a feat for this music educator.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...Don't be afraid to take a day off when life is full and busy. My kids just got a 4 day weekend. However, they officially went on a field trip with friends on Friday and went hiking to a waterfall, and they did a little bit of school work with those friends as well. So I guess they didn't really have a 4 day weekend.

I am inspired by...my husband when he teaches from scripture during our family worship time.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...We saw my folks today. We'll be going to church this week and to the Applebutter Festival this weekend where we'll be working with our church demonstrating and helping kids complete some really cool crafts.

One of my favorite things...music. Whatever mood I'm in, there's always something musical to complement my mood.

What's working/not working for us...We're using Five in a Row for social studies and history for the time being. It means that there is no fluidity in our history study right now, but it's working well anyway.

Questions/thoughts I have...Children really do listen to the lyrics of music. Why do parents think that they don't? Don't we hear the words? If we're hearing the words, so are our kids, so we should be more careful with the music we choose to bring into our homes.

Things I'm working on...obedience.

I'm cooking...whole wheat pasta tossed with peppers, onion, mushrooms, Italian sausage and garlic.

I'm reading...Made to Crave. 5 chapters in, and I had to stop for a couple days just to think about chapters 4 and 5 for a while.

I'm grateful for...the report we got from my dad's cardiologist on Friday and the way God provided for us last Friday as well. Friday brought us many blessings.

I'm praying for...financial and job situations. Still.

A video to share...

Click on the graphic at the beginning of this post to see more posts by homeschool moms.

1 comment:

  1. Loved "Made to Crave!" Still have some of the Scriptures on my fridge! I totally agree that you don't have to stress about taking a day off. Really, what's the big deal, but being a teacher, I've got to get out of the school mode!! Blessings this week.

    ReplyDelete