11 February 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

 
In my life this week...

The first few days of this week were relatively uneventful until Wednesday afternoon when we got a phone call from Dad saying he was taking Mom to the emergency room. She has been battling abdominal pain for several weeks, and he was tired of waiting for the doctors to figure it out. Mom was admitted to the hospital Wednesday night. On Thursday the doctor told her that they believed she was no longer in remission. Of course, we suspected this, but you can't do anything to prepare yourself for that kind of news and the ramifications of it, nor can I describe it to you.
 
In our homeschool this week...

Ava started learning about place value notation this week, and she loves it! She was teaching it to her dolls one afternoon! 
 
Lukas' made fantastic progress with his vision therapy this week. My husband stopped by the doctor's office to get a slightly lower level of equipment, and it has made a world of difference. I believe we'll have him back to using the more challenging equipment within a week or so. He really doesn't enjoy this therapy, so I am proud of him for working through it without too much complaining.
 
Lukas also decided to compose a piano piece this week. It is his first piano composition, and he's pretty excited about it. It is mostly chords with a simple bass line, but it sounds pleasant. He asked me for staff paper the other day, so I printed some for him, and he's writing his song on staff paper. These two musical parents are a little more than excited about this! I plan to play it as soon as he has finished writing it down!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...

I follow a couple homeschooling pages on Facebook. I've noticed so many people asking questions like, "Is it okay if I don't do exactly what it says?" or "Can I stretch a Five in a Row book over two weeks?" "Is it okay if I skip something?" "My kids are very interested in the topic we're studying, so can I take time to explore this topic with them instead of moving on the way it tells us to?" My answers? Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Do what works for you. You are not married to any curriculum. Curriculum is a guideline, not a rule.

I am inspired by...

Scripture. "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary,and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." 
Isaiah 40:29-31

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

Everything is kind of up in the air. We usually go to Mom and Dad's every-other Sunday afternoon, but I doubt Mom will be up for it tomorrow. We may stop by for a little bit. 

My favorite thing this week was...

We made the most adorable owl craft this week, and we used Valentine colors to do them. They're completely and totally adorable. Did I say adorable twice? Why, yes, yes I did. Because they are THAT adorable!

What's working/not working for us...

I've been working hard to spend time talking to Ava about how much she likes reading (if you follow my blog, you know Ava has previously expressed her dislike of reading). It is starting to work. I hope this might be considered to be a positive use of reverse psychology. She has said for quite a while that she doesn't like to read. One day, off the cuff, I said, "I don't think that's true, Ava. I think you like reading. You love when mommy reads to you from chapter books and picture books and even magazines, so what I think is that you do like reading. You just don't like the process of learning to read." I saw a very faint light bulb flash, and then I started talking about books that I know she has loved and how she will be able to read them herself if she keeps working as hard as she has been. When I said she could read all the Laura books in a year or two (Little House series), the light bulb stayed on! Two days later, she said to me as we were snuggled on the couch under a blanket ready to begin her reading lesson, "Mommy, I think I'm starting to like reading a lot better." Yes! 

Questions/thoughts I have...

What kind of day will it be? Sunny? Cold? Autumn? Spring?

Things I'm working on...

Trusting.

I'm cooking...

I made this Sweet Potato Beef Stew this week with this Corn Bread recipe that I started making a year or so ago. Both recipes are incredible!

I'm grateful for...

Time.

I'm praying for...

My mama.

A photo/video/link/quote I'd like to share...
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Your owls ARE adorable! :) We made heart poeple this week...might have to do owls soon! :)
    ~Andrea
    www.nodoubtlearning.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute owls. I love owls! Nice to meet you. I have been doing the same "encouragement" for my child who thinks he doesn't like reading.

    ReplyDelete