02 July 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week…
I remember the season of life when my children were small, and it seemed like I could always use a break. This week, I have a break while the kids attend Amazing Grace Daycamp. It is giving me perspective as I realize that this is how most Moms live every week of the school year, with only a few hours of their kids' time at the end of the day. Of course, a little time alone is good for me, and I am rather introverted and enjoy it, but I know I will miss the kids so much by the end of this week!
In our homeschool this week…

The past week was focused on getting math and reading time completed. We are taking it easy this week since the kids have daycamp. Lukas still has about 10 days of math to complete his school year, and both kids are reading everyday this summer.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

I commented on a blog post yesterday about how we don't have to finish everything at the end of a year. Homeschooling isn't about tying everything in a neat bow or impressing our friends and family with how brilliant our kids are. It's about a lifestyle of learning.

I am inspired by…

The difference in a person's demeanor when they are doing what God designed and called them to do.
 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Daycamp everyday except for Thursday (we could take them on Thursday too, but we're not going to), a cook-out at our house and then fireworks on the 4th at the fairgrounds. 

My favorite thing this week was…

Hearing my man preach and lead worship, and leading worship at his side. Serving together is amazing, and I hope for more opportunities like we had this week!

My kiddos favorite thing this week was…


The church board meeting got cancelled last Tuesday, and while we are thrilled to have Eric serve the church in this capacity, it was nice to have him home during his busiest work week of the month. So, I guess their favorite thing was the thunder storm that caused the power at the church to go out for the entire evening which meant that Daddy got to come home for the evening.

What’s working/not working for us…

We really haven't had what would be called a great summer since 2009. Yes, you read that correctly. Between job changes, moving,and spending a lot of time in hospitals and doctor's offices, our summers have been disappearing before our very eyes.

This summer, however, is going swimmingly, so we are enjoying every bit of it. The kids have been reading like crazy and are working on their second time sheet from our local library. Ava is still plugging away at the Sonlight readers we use since we lost time during the winter when my parents passed away (we took off two months. That's for another post), and Lukas is still finishing math and reading The Lord of the Rings as well as other less classic options (uh-hem, comic books). The kids are both improving upon their cooking skills. We're playing games together and organizing the house. We are re-connecting without the structure of school, and it is exactly what this family needs!

Questions/thoughts I have…

Most people can't wrap their minds around whatever it is you are going through unless they have had to walk a similar path. Sometimes, because of that, people say and think things that are just completely and totally inappropriate and downright heartless. Sometimes, the people who do this the most are very close to us. I hope I am not one of those people.

Things I’m working on…

Learning when to speak and when to stay silent. Letting the little things go. Yelling less. Listening intentionally. Using media less.

I’m reading…

The Crown and the Crucible by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella. Making Brothers and Sisters Best Friends by Sarah, Steven and Grace Mally.

I’m cooking…

Creamed chicken sandwiches and chips this evening. We'll be feeding a crowd on the go!

I’m grateful for…

God has given me exactly what I asked for, and I didn't even see it until recently. I spoke with my accountability partner maybe 6 weeks ago about wanting deeper relationships within my church family. What I realized over the past 6 weeks is that I have deep relationships, some growing and others already there, right here in my community. It doesn't necessarily matter if those deepest friendships are within my church family or not, though I would still like to grow those friendships too. What matters is that I have connections that are deep and meaningful, and I am eternally grateful for this!

I’m praying for…

Today, I think I'm mostly praying that I get through this evening without a puddle of tears at my feet. We are emptying my parents' house of all their earthly belongings. While I know they are no longer there, there are memories tied to all of those things. I am remembering that it is just "stuff," but I could use your prayers as this very final task is accomplished.


I rewarded my kids this week by…


This could also be added to my list of "things I'm working on." I've been diligently looking for moments of good when I can pat my children on the back and tell them I am noticing their efforts. Simply telling our kids they did a great job serving their sibling or helping with a chore without being asked goes a long way toward character training.

A photo to share…

See? They love each other!






No comments:

Post a Comment