17 September 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal: School Beginning


In my life this week…
It's always a guess as to whether or not I feel creative enough to post something besides a list of everything we've done this week. Maybe that first sentence is indicative that you'll get something different. Maybe not. To read or not to read; that is the question.

In my life this week, I continued to guard my daughter's heart, repeatedly encouraged my son by reminding him that he is one of the smartest people I know, cheered for my husband as he seeks to provide for our family in a job that doesn't always bring fulfillment, and followed Jesus while I kept those things at the top of my list above all those places I had to go, classes and rehearsals I had the privilege of leading, and people I was blessed to spend time with.


In our homeschool this week…

Ava has declared that studying the human body is "gross," and I believe she intends to say so every.single.day.
 

Lukas is researching Ohio towns with Indian word origins and having a blast as he finds this to be so very interesting. He chose this project from a lengthy list of possible projects. That's the best kind of learning! 

I am focused on all things learning and keeping myself from attempting to do much multi-tasking during the school day. I'm getting so much more done, and it's all being done better. Why all this emphasis on multitasking in today's society? I'm changing my focus from multitasking to doing things well and on time. Much better, I say!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

My new thing is once a month planning. I used to plan every-other Saturday, but now we school on Saturdays since that is a work day for my husband. Sometimes, we have sporting events on Saturdays when the season calls for it. This year, I began the school year with a whole month of plans. Of course, things come up, and you have to be flexible, but, so far, the plans are working well. We're one science lesson behind for one kid, and tomorrow's plan is going to have to flex a little, but, overall, this is great for us. Sweetening this plan a little is the fact that my husband works 6 days the last week of every month, which means I can take that last Saturday of the month off and do planning instead of teaching. My recommendation to you? Monthly planning.

I am inspired by…

My daughter. She focuses so very hard on school, and she is learning so much because of it. She hasn't been complaining at all, and she keeps pressing forward. Wouldn't we all benefit from that kind of attitude?
 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

We are having a pretty routine week around here. I'll spend some time tomorrow evening with some ladies having a book discussion, and, on Thursday, I'll teach my music class at our co-op where my kids take part in art, science, and guitar lessons also.  

My favorite thing this week was…
I am truly just amazed watching my children learn right now. The last three school years were just plain hard for us, not necessarily academically difficult, but our life circumstances seemed to be insurmountable at times. I think we are due for something to go well with school. What I am seeing is getting me so excited. Lukas is becoming a deep thinker and an independent learner, and he is grabbing the reigns from me and doing so much without me, more and more each day. Ava is spelling and reading and writing and doing it all better than ever, and I never imagined she would start to take school so seriously. They amaze me. I never imagined such focus, determination, and diligence because we didn't have the time and energy for it. Overall, I am amazed at God and how He perfectly planned our curriculum and school year for us!

My kiddos favorite thing this week was…


Lukas is loving Apologia General Science, particularly the experiments (and I am loving that he will be doing it mostly independently very, very soon). Ava is thrilled to be using Teaching Textbooks for the first time, and she is proclaiming that to be her favorite thing right now!

What’s working/not working for us…

I'm not sure we're far enough into the school year to know what is working or not working for sure, but I will say that our routine isn't quite as smooth as I would like. We might need to start school earlier in the morning, and I think our school day will shorten slightly as the kids become more familiar with new curriculum and are able to work more independently. I guess we are still working out the new school year kinks.

Things I’m working on…

Organizing my calendar and to do lists so that I can actually get everything done. For instance, the laundry? Dirty. Or, if it's clean? Unfolded.

I’m reading…

What am I not reading? My favorite book that I'm reading right now is our fun read-aloud for school. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane. I am so glad our children's librarian knows us well and recommended this beautiful story to us! It will be on our top 10 list of favorite read-aloud books. If you haven't read it, do it! Your children will enjoy Edward's journey so very much!

I’m cooking…

Last night, I baked Parmesan tilapia, baked potatoes, and steamed California blend. Tonight, Eric is throwing some western style ribs and sweet potatoes on the grill as I type, and I'm roasting broccoli.

I’m grateful for…

Strong beginnings, ministry opportunities, and divine reminders of who God created me to be and what my gifts are. So excited for what God is doing in my life and how He is using me right now!

I’m praying for…

A dear friend going through an unforeseen, mind-blowing circumstance.


I rewarded my kids this week by…


This is the truth. I gave my kids play time. Yesterday, we had a long school day. When we got to what I thought was the end, Lukas reminded me that he hadn't actually done all of his silent reading, and there was one chore not finished. Maybe some mamas would have told him to get to it, but I believe in flexibility, and, once in a while, kids need a break. The sun was shining, the evening was beautiful, and, in my opinion, the kids earned those moments to run free. Part of the reason we homeschool is to allow our kids to be kids. I rewarded their very diligent day (actually they've been diligent since we started two weeks ago) by sending them outside. I admit it. Sometimes, this is what is best!

A photo to share…

Nerf War birthday cake!



No comments:

Post a Comment