11 November 2013

The Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week...

The past week has been full, and the next couple weeks will also be full. Let's face it, the end of that couple weeks ushers in Thanksgiving and then the Christmas season, so things are pretty much on-the-go until next year (yes, I said it that way on purpose). Busy seasons are the seasons when it is most important to purposefully cherish moments. In the past week, I have cherished many little moments.
  • Last Thursday, God gifted me with some moments to talk with two people and to share a little bit of of Jesus chatter with them. 
  • Thursday afternoon, I was able to teach my music class, and I have to tell you, God has used the past two months of teaching this class to remind me of why I got my music degree and about how much music and kids are when put together. I am a proud homeschool mama, but I am grateful for this opportunity to teach some local homeschooled kids the joy of music!
  • Yesterday, I went to church feeling rather grumpy and under a spiritual attack, and I was facing an 11 hour day with no break in sight. Truthfully, I was doing things that I love, singing with the praise team and rehearsing with our kids for the Christmas musical. God used the music we were singing in worship to remind me that my obedience always brings fruit, and he used those 18 kiddos who were there for rehearsal to remind me again of how He created me. At the end of 11 hours, I realized how energized we become when we serve the church in the right place.
In our homeschool this week…

Today, I listened as my sweet daughter read to me from a book that I know she could not have read a year ago, and I considered her request to begin doing more of her reading independently. I think we will be gradually moving toward that goal. She is reading more and more on her own, and I don't think she has any idea how much she is enjoying it yet!

We finished a study of American Indians last week including making and painting birch bark canoes. Today, we began reading a new book that I found recently called The Adventurous Life of Myles Standish and the Amazing-but-True Survival Story of Plymouth Colony. It was published by National Geographic. As the cover says, the book was "Painstakingly written and illustrated by Cheryl Harness." The humor does not stop there. It manages to go more in depth than any previous study we have done on this topic while reading like a an adventure novel meets comedic sketch. It's 140 pages of historical joy. No, really. Trust me!

Also, in the past week, Lukas and I went to his literature club. He and the boys (only boys in this year's lit club!) discussed the book, The Sign of the Beaver, and then they prepared for their next meeting when they'll be discussing poetry. Today, we found a poem written by Abraham Lincoln (my choice) and a poem by Oliver Wendall Holmes (his choice). It's going to be a fun adventure!

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

Know when to join a co-op and when not to. I wasn't sure about joining a weekly co-op again as we haven't done so in several school years, but I am glad that we did. It's going so well, and watching the friendships grow between my kids and some of the others at the co-op has been a joy! That said, sometimes, it is not the right season, so don't make this kind of commitment without much thought and prayer!


I am inspired by…

The way my kids have recently chosen to rise to the tasks presented to them. Yesterday, Lukas willingly and without complaint ran sound and pro-presenter for us during a 6 hour rehearsal. Ava also focused during that rehearsal without a problem. In fact, all the kids were troopers yesterday, and it makes me look forward to our next long rehearsal this weekend!
 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Tomorrow, my childhood friend, Sarah, and her precious family are coming for dinner. I can't wait!  

My favorite thing this week was…

I feel so blessed lately by favorite things that it is hard to pick one. Lukas is doing super well learning to play guitar. I'll pick that.

My kiddos favorite thing this week was…


I usually guess, but I asked them. Lukas said, and I quote, "READING." The Lord really does work in amazing ways! Ava said, "art, math, and science." 

What’s working/not working for us…

I do not enjoy schooling on Saturdays as that used to be my cleaning and catch-up day, but it is a blessing to be able to take my husband's day off with him during the week. It is working, and I wasn't sure that it would. Now, once basketball season starts, I may have a different story to report!


Things I’m working on…

Organizing. Have I said this before?  

I’m reading…

Unexpected Adventure by Strobel/Mittlelberg, A Cricket in Time's Square, The Crown and the Crucible (I put it down for a long time and just picked it back up).

I’m cooking…

Gluten-free lasagna and spinach tonight, and I made a ziti casserole to freeze for later.


I’m grateful for…

The empowerment of knowledge and knowing that the battle has already been won by the Lord!

I’m praying for…

Provision, the sweet daughter of a friend facing a tough season at school, divine direction, discernment.

I rewarded my kids this week by…


Throwing in a last minute craft for Veteran's Day. They've been working hard, and the break was fun!


A photo to share…



No comments:

Post a Comment