17 October 2006

Reflections

I'm feeling rather melancholy and reflective this evening.  Maybe it's the dreary, rainy weather we've had all day, or maybe it's the season.  I don't know what it is, but I am definitely in the mood to reminisce and reflect upon many things.

Do any of you remember when my children were born?  Of course, some of you do because you were there, and others of you didn't even know me then.  My point is that it truly does seem like Lukas was just born yesterday, and here I am with a 5 year old son and a 2 1/2 year old daughter! 

Every time one of those "very wise" people told me to cherish every moment while they are little, I always thought, "well of course I will!"  And I truly do.  I am not one of those moms who is in a rush for my children to grow.  Of course I get excited when they learn something new or go through a growth spurt (though right now I'm not so excited that Lukas has 2 pair of pants that actually fit him), but I truly do cherish their smallness. 

I love that Ava can't say Lukas.  She calls him "Loo-sis".  It is so adorable, and I think that I will probably cry on the day that she actually says Lukas.  It's kind of like the day she moved from calling my sister An-Khaki to actually saying "Aunt Cassie."  Cassie was sad about that one too.

I love that Lukas still needs me to snap his pants for him, but I'm proud of him on the times that he figures it out himself.  I know the day is very near when he will no longer need me for this simple task, and I know many moms are thinking I'm crazy, but I love that he still needs me.  The days of Lukas needing me in this way are truly numbered, and I think we may be entering the single digits!  Snaps and buttons are more of a symbol of the stage of life we are in with Lukas right now.  That stage is ending too quickly, and we'll never get these days back.

I love that Ava needs snuggle time every day.  It has been more of a challenge since school started to make sure that Ava gets her snuggle time with Mommy, but we're getting better at it.  It truly is a need of hers to just be held and cuddled for a while each day.  What mommy wouldn't love that?  My hope is that she'll never out-grow this need, but I'm guessing that she won't be sitting on my lap caressing my cheek when she's 16 and heading out the door on her first date.  Oh my goodness!  Can you believe that will be happening tomorrow!  I know it's not truly tomorrow, but I'm sure it will seem like I wrote this "just yesterday" when we get to that day.

I love, love, love the relationship that my kids have with each other.  Lukas has adored his little sister since the day she was born, and Ava returns that adoration whole-heartedly.  Every Sunday after church, we pick them up from their classrooms and Ava immediately looks for Lukas.  When she finds him, she shouts "Loo-sis" and they run toward each other.  Lukas picks her up and hugs her while he swings her back and forth.  It is so precious to watch.  I enjoy it every single time as if it were the first time, and I dread the day that it will be the last time.

Last times are something I could start a whole new blog entry about and go on and on and on (kind of like I am now).  I'll just say this about last times...isn't it sad that we often don't realize it's the last time they do something?  The last time they fall asleep in your arms, the last time they wear warm footy pajamas, the last time they mispronounce a word...


No comments:

Post a Comment