24 January 2007

Ava's Check-up

This morning was Ava's three year check-up at the pediatrician.  She did a great job!  I had prepared her a little by telling her what the doctor would do (check her ears, nose, throat, tummy, etc...).  She didn't hesitate as the doctor checked everything out.  In fact, when Dr. Kirkby was checking her ears, she sat with her mouth gaping open because she knew her mouth was going to be checked soon.  It was kind of cute.

Ava has finally had a growth spurt big enough to move her into the 50th percentile for height for her age.  She has been pretty consistently in the 30th since her first birthday.  I knew she had a major growth spurt this past fall.  She pretty much went from wearing size 18 and 24 month pants to wearing 3Ts overnight.  That's right...she never really wore a 2T pant ever other than a couple of Old Navy stretch pants, but there clothes are never sized right anyway.  

So, Ava is 37 inches tall and weighs almost 29 pounds fully clothed.  Lukas weighed over 30 pounds at his 2 year check-up, so it makes me laugh to see how tiny she still is at 3!  This puts her just below the 50th percentile for weight though.  I don't get that.  She gains 2 pounds in a year and has suddenly moved from the 25th percentile at age 2 to the 50th percentile at age 3.  I guess most kids lose that baby pudge between 2 and 3.
I'm babbling now...sorry.  

The last thing I want to share is that Lukas was so, so, so wonderful to his sister today.  The doctor explained to me that I might want to consider giving Ava a hepatitis A vaccine.  After talking it over and ensuring me that there was no mercury in the vaccine, I agreed to let her have the shot.  When the doctor left the room, Lukas sat down and asked Ava to come to him.  She did so willingly, and he hugged her and stroked her back as he explained to her that the shot would only hurt for a second.  Then, he said, they would put a really cool kid band-aid on it and give her a sucker.  I cannot describe this scene well enough in writing.  It was one of the sweetest moments I have ever witnessed between my kids.

Enough bragging about my kiddos for one day.  Of course, if you didn't want to hear me bragging about my kids, then you would have stopped reading my blog ages ago.    Thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment