09 March 2007

On my Knees

Having a sick child did one great thing for me this week.  It brought me to my knees.  It isn't that I don't pray every day.  God and I try to meet together each afternoon while the kids are napping, but sometimes the prayers are not as intimate as other times.  I think that is a confession that most Christians could make if they really took the time to examine their time and how they spend it.  This week, and especially in the past 36 hours, my time with God was very intimate.  I think that even a normally non-praying parent would suddenly start to pray for their child if they heard the word "pneumonia." 
Of course, I spent more time praying than I normally do, which is a good thing.  It would be an even better thing if I did it every day even when my life isn't facing some kind of problem or crisis.  Isn't that the way it is all too often?  I am a praying person.  I love my Father deeply, and yet I never seem to spend enough time with Him.  And how much is enough?  Can I ever spend enough time with Him?  I don't think so.  That's what heaven is for and what all Christians have to look forward to, endless time praising our Father.  How great that time will be, too great to describe in mere words.
Prayer works.  I sent out a prayer request to many, many people yesterday, including those of you reading this now.  Lukas is definitely mending.  I cannot tell you how many times I had to make him settle down today because I can remember that he is sick, but he seems to keep forgetting.  His fever seems to be gone.  It didn't even come back this evening, and fevers are notorious for returning in the evening hours.  He is still going through a plethora of tissues and coughing a deep cough, but his fever seems to have broken and his energy is returning.  The new antibiotic has taken off the edge of the sickness.  I am so thankful to all of you for praying, and I am even more grateful to God for hearing those prayers and answering them.
At this point, I have to work on convincing my son that he still has to stay in the house.  He cannot go to the mall (he has asked to go play at the playground there);  he cannot go out to eat(he has also asked to do this); he cannot go to a birthday party (I know, that's pretty sad, but he still can't go); and he cannot even go to church with Daddy tomorrow evening, and Sunday morning is pretty much out too.  While he may think he's feeling better, I think we need to make sure his strength is back before putting him in a setting with other rambunctious 5 year old boys. 
For tomorrow, we're praying for continued healing from the pneumonia and sinusitus.  We're also praying that Lukas' grouchy attitude is better.  The poor little guy is really tired of being sick and trapped in the house, but the grouchies are still considered unacceptable behavior in our house.  Thank you all for praying for him and for us.  We so appreciate each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment