13 May 2008

I Fell in a Hole in Mexico

For those of you who don't know, Eric and I were on a cruise last week in the Western Caribbean.  We took a 5 day cruise with stops in George Town, Grand Cayman and Cozumel, Mexico.  It was the most relaxing vacation I have ever been on, and, at this point, it is the best vacation Eric and I have taken without the kids (because you really can't compare a vacation with kids to one without).

This was our gift to ourselves as we celebrate 10 years of marriage at the end of June.  It was the first time we had left our kids for more than 2 days ever.  I had an incredibly hard time with this as we were getting ready and packing.  I left detailed instructions for Nana and Grandma who were taking turns staying with our kiddos, much more detailed than either of them could possibly need.  It was for MY
benefit and peace of mind more than anything else. 

When we were leaving for the airport on Monday morning, I gave each of the kids tons of hugs and kisses, and we prayed with them before we left.  I called them when we landed in Tampa and when we first got to the boat, and that was the end of all sappiness.  Did I think of the kids?  Of course I did, BUT, I didn't dwell on it all week.  I feel kind of guilty about that, but, the truth is that I had such a great time that it became a non-issue.  I did, however, take about 50 pictures of iguanas and 20 pictures of various ships and boats all for the sake of showing the kids.  I am only exaggerating about the number of iguanas a little, and, Lukas thinks those are the coolest pictures we took, so I'm glad I did it!  Digital photography is so great, isn't it?


The highlight of the trip for me was snorkeling on a reef near Grand Cayman.  It was the first time either of us had gone snorkeling.  It was amazing!!!  AMAZING.  One of the tour guides who was with us actually held a sting ray and we were able to touch it and take pictures (we took an underwater camera).   The fish were beautiful.  I could go on and on about the whole snorkeling experience and how great it was for me, but I can't do that without saying that we neglected to think of one issue before going.  Eric could not wear his glasses with the snorkeling mask, so he really didn't have a great experience.  If we have the opportunity to go again, he has said that he will purchase contacts beforehand so that he can see more.  I kind of feel badly that this was my favorite part of the trip because he didn't enjoy it as much as I did, but it really was incredible for me.

On Thursday, we were in Cozumel, but, the truth is that Eric and I were hardly in Cozumel at all.  Cozumel is an island, and we had booked a mainland excursion to see the Mayan Ruins of Tulum.  In case you were wondering, this is where the title of this blog entry comes into play.  We took a ferry from Cozumel to Playa del Carmen, where we had to walk 5 minutes or so to a bus that took us to Tulum.  That 5 minute walk was not so good to me.  I was looking around as I walked because, well, who walks with their head down watching for holes in the sidewalk?  Not me.  I guess that was my mistake because, as you have most likely guessed, I found a hole in the sidewalk rather unexpectedly.  As a result, my right leg has the largest scrape I have ever had in my life and a knot on my shin.  It bled quite a bit, but someone from the tour company cleaned it up for me right away and got the bleeding stopped(and then our guide asked me about 50 times throughout the day if I was okay).  I climbed onto the bus knowing that my left ankle was injured.  I walked on it all day since when you go to see Mayan ruins you really can't just drive right up to them.  This tour was the main reason we chose this particular cruise.  I wasn't about to miss it.

It wasn't too bad until I sat for an hour on the bus ride back to the ferry.  After that, the swelling and pain set in on both my right leg and my ankle.  By Friday, I couldn't wear shoes from the swelling (though I loosened the straps on one of my sandals as far as it would go so that I would have a shoe on for dinner...it was not a dressy sandal by any stretch, but at least it was on my foot).   Some of my shoes are still not fitting well, and it has been 5 days since the fall.  My ankle is wrapped, but still a little swollen, and my right leg is still very swollen.  However, not even this stole my joy on this trip!!!

I spent Friday doing exactly what I had planned to do.  I sat in the shade (because I also returned from Tulum with quite a sunburn...those temps on the Mayan Riviera, not so good even with layers of sunscreen when you are as pasty white as I usually am) and read a book most of the day.  I spent a little time in the hot tub.  I iced my ankle a little.  Eric waited on me a little more than usual when I needed something.  He never complained even once because he is an exceptional guy.  It was a peaceful day.  I have no complaints. 

This trip was so good for us.  To have five days uninterrupted with just each other is something we haven't had since Lukas was born 6 1/2 years ago.  We do not plan on waiting that long to have another vacation alone.  We were able to talk and just spend time together to an extent that I can't even remember doing before because it had been so long.  Go on vacation with your spouse.  You'll never regret it!

My favorite part of the day was sunset each night(so beautiful and romantic).  We captured each night's sunset on camera, and one night, we actually saw dolphins playing in the ship's wake as the sun set!  Amazing!  And the stars?  Did you know that they twinkle?  I have lived in or near a city for so long that I had forgotten, even so, the stars when we were at sea were more amazing than I had ever seen.  It was impossible for me to see all the gorgeous sites this past week and not commune with God.  He is an amazing God, isn't He?  I am in awe of Him because of the many blessings I received last week.  I have the most amazing God and the most amazing husband as well.  Add in the two most amazing kids in the world, and I am one blessed lady!

Of course, I have created a smilebox full of pictures (and I mean full).  I did not include all the iguanas or ships, but I put in a few.  Enjoy the slide-show by clicking HERE.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment