02 November 2008

My Political 2 Cents

You won't find me on a street corner holding up a political sign or wearing a bright red or blue t-shirt sporting the name of my favorite candidate. Politics generally are not my thing. I like to stay informed, and I would go as far as saying that I have been a well-informed voter for some years now. I do not, however, get quite as into it as some other folks you may know (anyone visited my husband's Facebook page lately?). I do take my voting freedom very seriously, which is why I am writing about my dilemma here. These thoughts have been swirling in my head for weeks, and now they are bombarding my mind non-stop, day and night. I have to get it down on paper, so to speak, even if my opinions are far from popular and, by some folks' measuring stick, down right antiquated.

That said, I have two days before I have to walk into the voting booth and place my fingertip on all the right places on the touch screen. I have a decision to make. We all have a decision to make. For those of you who know me, you may be surprised to know that I have been at a loss as to what that decision is going to be. I know, all Eric's Facebook friends are wondering how I could be so undecided when my husband is so adamant about what the right choice, the only choice is. You also may be surprised to know what it is that I'm feeling indecisive about because, you see, it isn't whether or not I want to cast my vote for Obama or McCain. It is whether or not I want to vote for president at all.

Whoa, there. Those of you who are political enthusiasts can take a step back for a moment and inhale a deep breath. If that pushed your buttons, just wait for my next comments. This blog is going to get hotter before it cools off, if it cools off at all.

I was once known to be a career focused gal. I had plans. Those plans involved teaching music, maybe even marching band (crazy, I know), membership in all the right professional organizations, and then, some day, in the far away future, having a family and dragging them along for the ride. Of course, they would have been all for my plan and would have loved every minute of it. That was my plan.

And then came the real world. To say that I disliked teaching public school music would be the understatement of the century. Since that was the case, we started our family, and we are thrilled that we did. Taking the plunge to become a stay-at-home mom was beyond challenging for several years. We were flat broke, but it didn't matter. I was home with my sweet babies and loving it more than any job I had ever had. It was more than worth it even when it was hard.

I tell you all of this to say that God changed my heart drastically. I never planned to be a baby nursing, homeschooling, organic food serving, crunchy stay-at-home mom. It just happened as God worked in my heart. Along with these changes in heart came changes in opinions. Here comes the surprise. Some of you are about to cringe. I know it. I feel it coming.

I changed my mind about being willing to vote for McCain when he added Sarah Palin as his running mate. I think that many, many Americans changed their minds as well, but they actually decided to vote for McCain when Palin joined the campaign. Isn't she great? That's what most people are saying. What person who labels themselves as evangelical wouldn't want a conservative, born-again Christian in office? I wouldn't argue that statement, but I would offer this. Govorner Palin has five children. Why isn't she raising them? In a day and age when so many women are working because of necessity, barely making ends meet, why are women who could choose to be home with their kids instead choosing the workforce?

I know, I know. Her husband is home with them. Right. I get that, but is that the way God designed it? Joseph was a carpenter, but Mary was a mom. And the disciples? We know about several of them were fisherman, Mathew was a tax collector, but their wives? They were wives and mothers. Don't you think the lack of attention the Bible gives to the profession of these women says something about what God wants for us as Christian wives and mothers? Someone needs to at home raising those kids, and my personal belief is that mothers play a monumental role in raising their children, more so than our current society would like to recognize. I know this is not a popular opinion. I know that some of you women out there work full-time outside the home, so please keep reading.

Don't get me wrong here. I am not saying that all women should be at home, barefoot and pregnant. That is not at all what I mean. What I am trying to say is that if a women has a choice to stay home, then I firmly believe that she should. I can't stand it when someone tells me that the SAHM thing is just not for them. If they had to be with their kids that much, they would hurt them or scar them emotionally. Seriously? Then why did you have kids in the first place? It breaks my heart. On the other hand, I know many women, very close friends of mine even, who are working in order to make ends meet. Of course that is what they should be doing. Do I think that working so that a family can afford two $400 car payments is a good idea? Um, no. Lifestyle is not a reason to have two incomes.

Sacrifice is hard. We didn't take a vacation for years. We don't drive fancy cars or live in a $200,000+ home. We don't even own our current home (though we have in the past). There have been years when Eric and I haven't really been able to afford Christmas gifts for each other and even times years ago when we didn't know how we were going to buy groceries. Does any of that even matter to me? Not at all. I am blessed to be home each and every day with my precious children, and I love my life.

I know, I am off topic here, and this is long. Some of you stopped reading when your collar started getting hot a few paragraphs back. Those of you still with me are wondering how I'm going to tie this post up with a tidy little bow, and since I know how so many of my friends are voting, you might even be hoping my bow is red. And the bow might be red. Will I basically throw my vote away and vote for a candidate who doesn't have a chance? No. I've always said that it irresponsible.

So here I am trying to make a decision. I won't be voting for Obama (and those of you who are concerned about him being the antichrist should honestly be shouting, "bring it on" and "let's go home!"). He doesn't have a single policy that I agree with. Do I like McCain's plans? His economic plan stinks, and his healthcare plan scares me to death, and, then there's Sarah Palin, his super govorner running mate who took exactly three days off work when her special needs baby was born. Seriously? Is that the best we've got?

When I weigh my choices, I wonder if there is any point in voting. Then I remember the babies. You know, the ones that get murdered in America each and every day. I know for a fact that some of my readers are pro-choice, but you will not find me taking your side on this issue ever.  Would I hold a friend's hand after they revealed that they had made this choice? Absolutely. Would I picket an abortion clinic? Never. BUT, there is no room for a change of mind on this issue. Abortion is murder, and murder being considered wrong goes right back to the Torah. It isn't about a woman's body. The majority of abortions are done by women who chose to have sex. It is about innocent lives being lost every single day in our country and around the world.

Is that the only reason to vote for McCain? Honestly, right now, I feel like it is. What could be more important than the lives of innocent children, babies who thousands of people would gladly adopt, babies that people like me who can't seem to get pregnant again for all our efforts, who would jump at the chance to save a life and make it part of my own. That's the only reason I'll vote for McCain. The babies need to be saved.

I've never entered the voting booth feeling as dismal as I will be this coming Tuesday. I don't know if I'm making the right decision or not, but I do know some things. No matter what choice I make, no matter what choice you make, and no matter what choice America makes, the same God will be in control. The same God has a plan and a purpose and hope for each of us and for America.

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you, plans for a hope and a future."

Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment