25 October 2008

Busyness and Sabbaths

Lately, it seems like we have been very busy. Our schedule during the week is very manageable, much more so than last spring when we were way over committed. You know what really makes the difference for us? Busy weekends. We haven't had a restful weekend since I can remember, and it grates on me after a while. I know it gets to the kids as well. Our weeks gradually become less and less productive, the kids take naps more often (Lukas actually napped this afternoon...amazing!), I fall asleep during my quiet time (because that is usually the only time of day that I sit still and quiet), and Eric wakes in the morning dragging his feet.

There is something to this idea of resting on the weekend. I wonder why someone didn't think of it sooner. Hmmm...what? You say that the Bible mentions this idea? Huh. You mean that's the way God designed us? That's the way we're actually made to function? If we actually follow HIS rules, which, contrary to popular belief are not suggestions, then we might actually wake up refreshed on Monday morning, be more productive throughout the week, and have better lives over-all? Amazing.

Trial and error has taught me this fact. I don't know why I needed to be reminded. And yet? Making a sabbath a priority when you aren't used to it being so important is more challenging than I thought it would be. I have no idea why. We're Christians, and we should have been doing it all along, right? We go to church each weekend to worship, but rest? Well, we haven't always been as restful as we should on Sunday. We're trying to change this. We will change this. I think it is just going to take a lot more determination than we have put forth thus far. But when we do? Yeah, we'll have a much better Monday morning. I'll be looking forward to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment