20 April 2010

The Sugar Doll Award

My dear friend, Mindy, has tagged me for this blog post. As a recipient of the "Sugar Doll Award," my quest is to share seven things about myself and then tag seven other people at the end who will ideally do the same thing. I'm thinking on the fly here and have no idea what my seven things are going to be. My focus is going to be making this about me and not about my kids. This could take me a little while!

1. 10 years ago, I believed all people who chose to homeschool their children were odd. What was wrong with the way we were educated? I was a teacher, after all, and did they not think I could do a good job with their children? I thought the very idea of homeschooling was ludicrous and those who chose it were inhibiting their children from success forever. 10 years later, I don't believe that all people who homeschool their children are odd, but, I have to admit, odd might be a good description of me sometimes.

2. I like to watch daytime talk shows, not the crazy ones like Jerry Springer, but the ones that have real people on them. Tyra is my current fave, but I also like Ellen and I used to watch Rosie faithfully when she was on t.v. I don't have much time to watch shows like this now, but I DVR Rachel Ray's talk show each day and watch the episodes that interest me while I fold laundry and delete the episodes that don't interest me. At this very moment, I'm watching Tyra, and Rosie is her guest for the day. Perfect daytime talk show day (I promise Rosie is not acting like her crazy self).

3. I have a freaky weird memory. I can remember the basic floor plan of the house from which I moved when I was 3 years old. If I walked through the front door today, I could take you directly to the kitchen, or I could head up the stairs and tell you which bedroom belonged to me. I also remember details about people with whom I grew up and places where I've been. I don't need a map at the Magic Kingdom, for instance, because I have the park memorized in my head. This benefits me when it comes to academics, though I am not the smartest whip you'll ever meet. Sometimes, Eric looks at me when I tell him something that I can remember, and I get the distinct feeling that he thinks I'm nuts. I very well may be.

4. I am a terrible artist, but I love to create art. When I teach my kids an art lesson, I do my own project just like their projects saying that I need to give them an example, but the truth is that I just love doing it. I love experimenting with paint, pastels, glue, craft supplies, paper, and on and on the list goes. I try to give myself outlets for this artistic bent. I don't make exceptional cakes, but I love to create them. I don't have the most creative scrapbooks you'll ever see, but I have a blast doing it. Almost everything I have crocheted has several imperfections, but I love the process.

5. I dream of being a gourmet cook whose creations are enjoyed by everyone. I don't want to work in a restaurant. It's just a hobby. I love to read cookbooks and magazines like Everyday with Rachael Ray or Healthy Cooking, and I believe that healthy cooking can be done so that it is delicious. I love recreating a dish from a restaurant. I've recreated Olive Garden's alfredo sauce, Applebee's smothered chicken, IHOP's buttermilk and harvest grain and nut pancakes, and Chipotle's  fajita bowls. If I can't find it on-line, I just guess. A recipe is an outline, after all, not a rule. I rarely follow any recipe perfectly.

6. I love to watch movies. Romances are my favorite, but I like a little bit of everything. Drama, biography, historical drama, action (with no gore), animated films and more interest me. My list of favorites is very eclectic. On the list...The Sound of Music, Sleepless in Seattle, Sense and Sensibility, August Rush, It's a Wonderful Life, The Others, Little Women (with Winona Ryder) and, my newest fave, The Blind Side.

7.I've dreamed of being a writer since I was a child. In 3rd grade, we were challenged to write stories about Stuart Little, and the best stories were published into a book. I was so proud that my story was included in the book. In fourth grade, I joined 4-H and started doing a Creative Writing project every year until I graduated from high school. I took a class every spring taught by Nancy Lonsinger who was a local author. I wrote for my high school year book and took Honors Composition in high school. These days,  I blog and write poetry and short stories and dream of writing a novel or having a column in a magazine, but I'm not so sure I could accomplish something like that with my meager talent or that anyone would really be interested in what I have to say.

Now to tag a few people. If you don't have a blog, Facebook is a great place to post something like this. I'm sure your friends would love to read it whether you blog or not! I'm going to tag people who I don't think have been tagged yet. So...Amy Murphy, Cassie, Melissa, Kim, Tanya, Cathy, and Sarah, you're the next Sugar Dolls!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment