11 March 2011

Weekly Wrap-Up: Math Update and More Sickness


We've had an up and down week around here. Packing is going slowly. Too slowly. It would be great if all the other aspects of life could stop until we get everything packed and out the door, but we all know that just isn't possible. It would also be great if I could feel healthy for more than a few days so that I could have the energy to tackle the overwhelming task of packing up five years of stuff.

Ava began working on subtraction this week. Her addition facts aren't perfectly memorized, but her ability to think abstractly while calculating the facts that she doesn't know continues to baffle me. At this point, I would have to say she is my math kid. I mean, she's only 7, so that could change, but she just seems to get it. Math-U-See helps since it rocks so much. We love Math-U-See so much that I try to share it with everyone I can. So many people suggested it to us before we finally made the switch. I'm so glad that we did!

Lukas spent the week doing expanded notation, which, quite frankly, is just time consuming. Day one didn't go well at all. Day two only went slightly better. By day three, thankfully, his math paper was perfect as well as day four. I haven't checked today's math yet, but I'm so glad that he improved. Monday? Long division. He's terrified though I've tried to convince him that he's going to love it. We'll see. This is a time when I find myself saying all the right things while praying against all the wrong things that could happen.

Do any of your kids have an issue with you marking things wrong on their papers? My son gets so upset. He's almost incapable of correcting the problems because he's so upset that I circled the problems he missed. I've been trying to figure out a better way of dealing with this. I want to be able to re-visit the unit when the skill comes back at a more advanced level so that I can remember how he handled it the first time. Is this important? That's what I'm trying to figure out. If it's upsetting him this much, I feel like I need to find a better way. There's a balance in teaching them to deal with their mistakes (a valuable life lesson) and figuring out how to not frustrate them completely. 

Twice this week we had a fun-filled afternoon with friends. On Tuesday, a friend came over with her little girl, who is technically much younger than my kids, but Ava doesn't care and welcomed playtime with 3 year old Sammi. It was a nice, warm day outside, so they spent the afternoon outdoors. Yesterday, my friend Amy came over with her five kiddos, and the kids had a blast! I enjoyed both afternoons visiting with these ladies. I am realizing that we don't do this often enough, and, now that we're moving, I'm really going to miss these women and their kids!

Back to the sickness thing...As I write this, I am hopped-up on vitamin-C, zinc, antibiotics, echinacea and acidophilus. I have my own little, mostly all-natural, pharmacy going here. Please be praying for health for our family. Since last week's wrap-up, Ava and I battled a stomach bug for three days, and, three days later (yesterday), I ended up with a high fever, headache, sore throat...eh, you get the idea. Every common symptom except for the stomach.  I'm still feeling very, very under the weather, but my fever broke, which has made a big difference. Prior to both of these most recent sicknesses, I was already on the antibiotic for a sinus infection that wouldn't go away. 

I know that my immune system is very depleted. Our stress levels were pretty high with my husband being unemployed for so long. Thankfully, that stress is gone, but facing a cancer battle with my Mom is obviously not helping matters. Here's the thing, I haven't seen my mom in three weeks as of tomorrow. I can't see her as long as I'm sick because she's undergoing chemotherapy treatments. I'm packing and moving to be closer to her to spend time with her, not to think about spending time with her while I'm hugging a box of tissues or a toilet. I would really appreciate your prayers. The past two months have been never-ending sickness around here. I'm so over it (mentally, not physically, obviously).

That's a wrap on this week's happenings. For more creative ideas, words of wisdom and general info about the ins and outs of homeschooling, visit Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

No comments:

Post a Comment