03 February 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

 
In my life this week...

I have been feeling pretty down this week, but I have pushed through it and managed to have a relatively productive week. On Sunday, we spent the entire afternoon with my folks because we hadn't been able to spend time with them since Christmas! We went to a "getting to know you" carry-in dinner at church Sunday evening because we've had so many new families coming to church over the past several months. We had a blast hanging out with some friends from our Sunday School class and meeting some new folks also. I didn't want to leave! How much of a blessing is that? I was able to go to worship team rehearsal last night, which means I can sing again. Sort of.

In our homeschool this week...

Our Five in a Row book for this week has been Owl Moon, which is one of my favorites. I saved it for winter because I was hoping for snow when we read it. This morning, I saw my daffodils pushing through the ground, so let's just say that snow hasn't been very abundant this winter. Anyway, as I was planning for school this week, I decided to take a break from Answers in Genesis because there was so much science material to go along with Owl Moon, and I decided to stretch Owl Moon over two weeks so we could have a week of studying the moon and a week of studying owls. We love AIG (as I have mentioned many times, I'm sure), but it has been fun to do something that is different and that is just plain fun. We used Oreo cookies to make moon phases, and today we sponge painted each phase of the moon to turn into a mobile when they're dry (later this evening, I hope. Some of that paint is thick!).

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share...

Have you ever gone to a convention? I love going, but I haven't gone in a few years. I'm hoping to go to our state convention this year, and I would absolutely love to go to the mid-western convention in Cincinnati in April. Voddie Bauchum is speaking at CHEO (state convention) in June, and we very much want to hear him. If you have the chance to go, do it! You will be so encouraged by the people you meet and the speakers you will hear.

I am inspired by...

Beauty in nature. Two evenings ago the sunset was purple and fuscia. It was gorgeous and completely and totally inspiring.

Places we're going and people we're seeing...

After another basketball game in the morning, we'll make a quick stop for a few ingredients for items we'll be making for Ava's birthday party tomorrow afternoon (I'm not sure what those items are yet, but I'll wander to my pinterest boards when I'm done writing this). My parents, our friends, the Bonars, our neighbor, and, hopefully, our friends, the Hershbergers, will be joining us. Ava's pretty excited to finally be able to celebrate her birthday with friends and family (two weeks late because she was so sick on her actual birthday).

My favorite thing this week was...

The moon projects I mentioned above were my favorite. I love school this time of year. We get so much done, and I get to add creative projects to our school days more often!

What's working/not working for us...

This week, we switched our schedule as I mentioned we might last week. The kids still do all their independent work first, but instead of doing our read-aloud and Five in a Row study after that, we've been doing Ava's reading lesson and Lukas' vision therapy next. It has made a big difference in how well Lukas' therapy is going, but I haven't really seen a difference in Ava's reading. Actually, this week, she decided to start reading faster because she wants to get it over-with. I'm not kidding when I say she has cut the time in half this week, and it has nothing to do with the time of day. She could have done it all along. Silly child. I love her.

Questions/thoughts I have...

What gets you through when life's circumstances are slapping you around?

Things I'm working on...

Without going into great detail, I'll just say I'm working on living each day normally. I've had some rough days recently, and I'm not exactly productive when I'm feeling really down.

I'm reading...

The same as last week...Little Women and Island of the Blue Dolphins.

I'm cooking...

Chicken and rice this evening and whatever veggie I decide to make. I'm decorating a cake tonight, so dinner needed to be simple.

I'm grateful for...

Today as I sat enjoying lunch with my children, I found myself marveling at how wonderful they are. Lukas was telling me a story, and I loved watching his grin as he laughed his way through it. Ava chimed in and her eyes were literally sparkling. I'm grateful for my giggly boy and glittery girl and for the opportunity to give them my full attention so that I can notice the little things about them.

I'm praying for...

Two friends who are battling loneliness as the result of divorces in progress, health concerns that my mom is having, eye therapy issues that Lukas is facing because he regressed so much while we were all sick, and a very, very important, financial need.

A photo/video/link/quote I'd like to share...
Oreo Moon Phases


To read other Homeschool Mother's Journal entries, click on the box at the beginning of this post, or join us by writing your own and linking it to the post by The Homeschool Chic!

No comments:

Post a Comment