27 October 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal, 10/27/12



In my life this week…

I re-structured some priorities this week. My quiet time seemed to be getting shorter and shorter, I was staying up too late, and I was never able to get enough done. This is particularly true when it comes to school. Wouldn't you think that we could learn lessons the first time? Or the 2nd? The 10th? Maybe I'm just a slower learner than most, but, when I began working harder to have my quiet time in the morning, my entire life seemed to be less chaotic. My demeanor completely changed. My stress levels decreased. Also making this week better is the fact that I took 3 hours on Tuesday to plan two weeks of school in detail. Granted, the plan is always changing as I have learned that, while I would not classify us as unschoolers, we lean toward a relaxed schooling methodology. If we want to read the Gettysburg Address and the Thanksgiving Proclamation in addition to our regular history lesson, then we're going to do it. Still, having a plan in place is refreshing.

In our homeschool this week…

Obviously, I have trouble separating "my life" from "our homeschool" a little, but such is the case when you are a homeschooling mom, isn't it? This week we began the downhill slope of our Civil War study. Truthfully, I'm over it. I'm ready to move onto something else. We will be done by Thanksgiving. Perfect!

I realized this week that, somehow, Ava did not know the months of the year in order, nor did she know how many days were in each month (for shame, I know. How could I miss such a thing?). Her new math unit covered this topic as well as days of the week (she's had those down for years, so I'm not a complete failure...haha). I thought this would be one of those units we spent a day or two studying and then moved on. Not so. "30 Days Has September" is on the docket to be memorized.

We attended a homeschooling luncheon yesterday at Lake Park. It was a gorgeous day! We were supposed to be doing some form of a harvest party, but it was more like a playdate. The kids got a couple special treats, and we made a craft, which I planned. It was a simple bird feeder craft made with a toilet paper roll, peanut butter, bird seed, and a ribbon. Seriously simple, but the kids had fun with it. It was a good craft for the park. I would post the link, but, after I read about it, I couldn't find it again and just had to remember how to do it myself.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…

If you're overwhelmed, eliminate something good. What? Eliminate something GOOD? Yep. Let's face it, there are a lot of options for kids and families. Soccer, football, dance, cheerleading, swimming, book clubs, community theater, community choir, and on and on it goes. We have been blessed with 2 children, which is a small family in the homeschooling world, and even we learned early that we could not say yes to everything our kids wanted to do. Sometimes, you have to say no for the sake of family life, for the sake of education, for the sake of family devotions. Sure, it's great if your son plays football every fall, but if things are too hectic for your family as a whole, it isn't going to harm your child to sit one season out. Our son skipped soccer season once, and he jumped right back into it with no problem the next year. Most of us aren't raising professional athletes. Taking a break might be just what your family needs!

I am inspired by…

Children's literature. We are finishing an amazing book that takes place during the Civil War that has taught my kids more than they could ever have learned from a textbook! Across Five Aprils. Read it!
 
Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

Our church is having it's annual pumpkin lunch on Sunday afternoon followed by a carry-in dinner. Yes, you read that right. Pumpkin. Launch. Those noble men desiring to toss their pumpkin the farthest build catapults (think medieval war machines, and you're spot-on) that literally toss their pumpkins across a field. I don't know what the winner gets, but they certainly get to feel all warm and fuzzy when they win.

My favorite thing this week was…

On Friday afternoon, right after I taught Ava's reading lesson all snuggled together on the couch, Ava cozied up to me even closer. We've had a lot going on in the past year, and, while we have definitely experienced great victory in the past month, it isn't completely over. The residual effects still have to be dealt with, and my sweet girl really needed some mama snuggles to help with some sadness. Of course, that isn't my favorite thing. I don't want my girl to be sad, but those snuggles? Priceless. She nearly fell asleep (and I almost followed suit). Lukas covered us with a blanket, turned out the lights, and left us there until the phone rang about 45 minutes later. It was a sweet, sweet time with my girl, and I will not forget it. There was silence, but it was just what we both needed.

What’s working/not working for us…

I'm pushing reading, phonics, spelling, and language arts pretty hard with Ava this fall, and her skills seem to be improving exponentially! We're using A Reason for Spelling, and we are both loving it. I'm seeing so much progress. Ava rocks!


Questions/thoughts I have…

More people should be grateful for what they have, where they live, and who they have in their lives. It seems like people are always pining for something they don't have. This is a small town, a very small town, but we have options, too many options. I challenge you to look within the community in which you reside and embrace the gifts that your community offers to your homeschooled children rather than drooling over the activities offered in other towns or the activities offered to public schooled kids. There are some places we just shouldn't go in order to protect our freedoms.

Things I’m working on…

Scheduling. I have to get scheduling down or nothing is ever going to get accomplished.

I’m reading…

The Priest by Francine Rivers. I've had it for probably 6 or 7 years, but I've never read it. It has been a long time since a book hooked me on the first page!

I’m cooking…

Swiss steak, mashed potatoes, and green beans tonight.

I’m grateful for…

A cozy house on a rainy, cold, fall night.

I’m praying for…

A friend who faces chronic, unexplained pain, another friend who also faces extreme pain and has an unpromising prognosis, a family member who faces unreal changes in his life, and another family member who also faces drastic change and does it without a lot of support by her own choice.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

  Click on the box at the top of this post to join us or to read what other moms have written in their journals!

No comments:

Post a Comment