24 July 2013

Apple Cinnamon Refrigerator Oatmeal

Last night before going to bed, I made APPLE CINNAMON REFRIGERATOR OATMEAL for this morning's breakfast. I won't post the entire recipe here because of respect for the blog where I discovered this delicious, refreshing, summer breakfast treat, but I will give you my changes to the original recipe.

First, you should know that I've been making my own kefir, a slightly tart, yogurt-like drink that is loaded with awesome for your gut probiotics. It is so completely easy to make, and I love it! Making kefir is one of those things I've been wanting to try for years and just never got around to it until this summer when my life seemed to have some space in it for new, fun, interesting things (within reason). I have not only successfully made kefir for the past month, but I have incorporated it into the entire family's diet! We have all enjoyed kefir fruit smoothies.

So back to the recipe. I didn't use yogurt or milk. Instead, I used all kefir sweetened with maple syrup instead of honey. I also don't have chia seeds on hand, though I plan to get some on my next major grocery trip. The result was delicious, sweet-tart, slightly chewy apple-y goodness. It's a hit when the whole family enjoys a new recipe!

Last night, I only made one pint jar of this because I was skeptical of the idea of refrigerator oats. Skepticism gone! 

The only glitch in this recipe for me is that it has a higher than normal carbohydrate count than I should eat. Tonight, I will try the same recipe sweetened with stevia, and I will remember to take my morning meds (duh). We'll see if that makes it a feasible breakfast for me or not. Either way, it's going to make an easy, on-the-go breakfast for the kiddos on busy swimming lesson mornings!

Wander around the recipe website for other refrigerator oat recipes. I want to try peaches or strawberries. Cherries would be good! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment