01 January 2014

90 Days Bible Reading Challenge 2014

I decided to join my friend Amy, who blogs at This and That, and commit to reading through the Bible in 90 days beginning today. Amy did this last year as well, but I honestly wasn't in a place to make a commitment like this. I needed to absorb the Word differently, to dig in and study certain passages and really understand God's plan for my life and how He was going to heal my heart.

This year, when Amy posted about the challenge, I thought, why not? I spent a couple days praying about it and decided to give it a try. I've never read the Bible in 90 days, and I am super excited about it!

When I told the kids I was going to do this, they were excited for me and intrigued too, so I asked if they wanted to do their own 90 day challenge. They both said yes without coercion, so, after discussing what parameters might work for them, I did some digging. 

Lukas (age 12) is reading through the New Testament in 90 days. It amounts to 2-3 chapters per day. Today, he had it done in about 15 minutes, which is about how long he usually spends doing his devotions each day anyway. I am so excited for him to accomplish this! I certainly didn't complete such a challenge at his age, and I know he's going to feel great about it! Here is the link to the reading plan Lukas is using if you're interested: 

90 Day New Testament Reading Plan

Ava (turning 10 soon) is reading through the book of John. She wanted to read one of the Gospels, which I thought was a great place for her to start, so I steered her toward the book of John. Because of her reading capabilities, I wanted to choose something that wouldn't be too taxing on her. The plan I found for her is actually a 6 week reading plan through the book of John, and it amounts to no more than 30 verses per day, most days less than that. I think she read 25 verses today. Ava was a little concerned that this was going to be too much since the idea of 25 verses sounded like a lot to her. Then she looked at the passage and realized she's been reading passages about that length in her devotions each day, so she's ready for this challenge. I'm so proud of her! This plan also comes with a printable chart on which your children can place stickers or stamps when they complete their reading each day! Here is the link to the reading plan Ava is using if you want to check it out for your kids:

6 Week Gospel of John Reading Plan for Kids

Eric is also going to read through the Bible in 90 days, and we'll both be reading a chronological plan, which I think will be interesting. Here's the link that provides both Cover to Cover and a Chronological reading plans:

90 Days Through the Bible Reading Plans

It's not too late to join us! If you feel game, let me know that you're joining us, or go over to Amy's Blog and let her know you're going to give it a go! I can't wait to see what God does in our family through this challenge!


No comments:

Post a Comment