07 January 2014

The Super-duper Awesomely Spectacular Surprise


Stunned.

That's the only way to describe how I felt.

About a week before Christmas, I got a phone call from my fabulous college roommate, Jessica, who lives in L.A. where she and her wonderful husband, Lonnie, work in "the" industry. They are cooler than us, and I'm okay with that because they always let us hang out with them anyway. Oh how we miss them!

So Jess called the week before Christmas to tell me that she had orchestrated a super-duper, awesomely spectacular surprise for our family. 

Yes, that is the only way to describe it (and awesomely is a word as of today). I promise. You'll see!

I still don't know who all played a part in this surprise except that I know Jess contacted friends of ours that she has never met in person as well as my sister who contacted more people, friends from college,friends who live here, friends who live all over the country,and who knows who else? It seems like almost everyone knew this surprise was coming our way before we did, which made telling people a rather humorous tale in itself.

What was it?

Four tickets to see Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Plus extra money to help with Christmas gifts (or for unexpected car repairs as the pendulum might swing).

Jaw hit the floor.

No really. My jaw hit the floor.

My family watched as I took this phone call, wondering what in the world was going on. Good thing, because someone had to pick up my jaw so I could actually speak.

I was in complete and utter shock. 

I wrote recently about some of the obstacles we have faced in recent years. If anyone knew how much our family needed a break, Jessica knew. She has walked with me through this journey every step of the way. She has prayed hard prayers with me and for me, and she has kept me focused when I felt like I was falling apart. The Lord has used her in mighty ways in my life, and to say that I am grateful for her friendship would be an understatement.

And, while Jessica orchestrated this, she didn't do it alone. Can you imagine how it might feel to have people who know you, near and far, come together to give you an outstanding blessing just because they love you? Because they know that you've been through the ringer, or maybe they don't know, but they love you and want to be a part of making your Christmas outstanding, one of the best we have ever had. I feel like those people on reality shows like Extreme Home Makeover who get their socks knocked off by the charity of others toward them.

I texted my sister and my friend Mindy immediately. Of course, they knew, and they had been waiting for me to know too. That was the tip of the iceberg. One person after another knew, and many of them participated in the blessing. 

I can't say thank you enough. I wish I could shout "thank you" to all of them, to all of you if you are reaidng this and are one of the many. 

Amazing friends, we have, and an amazing God who brought all this about in their hearts and minds. 

It has been two weeks since we attended the concert. It was even more amazing than we expected, and we are still in wonder that our friends would do this for us.

We feel loved and blessed and cared for and encouraged.

Thank you, friends, for this lovely blessing. May you be profoundly blessed in return because of it!






No comments:

Post a Comment