05 February 2015

Count Your Blessings

Count your blessings, 
Name them one by one!
Count your blessings,
See what God has done!

Raindrops on roses, whiskers on kittens.
Bright copper kettles, warm woolen mittens.

This is not a new concept. In fact, Count Your Blessings was written in 1897! Counting blessings, or, rather, purposing to notice them, is good for the soul.

I have reverted many times to including tidbits from my joy journal on my blog because it is what keeps me sane. Well, lots of things keep me sane. Coffee, for instance. My kids. My husband.


I actually count my blessings. Right now I have written down 3061 blessings. Gifts. Joys. Whatever you call it, I have written them down for about two years. I have missed some days (because of busyness, not because there wasn't joy!), and I have other days when my pen just couldn't stop. I have found joy in the hard places and joy in the easy, joy in simplicity and joy in the complex. So here is a little snippet of this week's Joy Journal...

3040. "Can I Have This Dance" with Daddy's little toe tap and smile of fun romance
3045. Family worship time
3048. Cottage cheese and peaches.
3051. Listening as dear husband teaches our family Bible study
3052. Diligent kids
3053. The beautiful, thought-provoking end of a television series I love
3055. Tufted titmouse on the bird feeder!
3058. Tchaikovsky piano music

What's bringing you joy today? There is something. Dig for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment