27 September 2006

Laughter is the Best Medicine

I adore listening to the sound of my children laughing.  It brings a smile to my face every time I hear their little giggles.  When they are laughing together and having a great time, that is even better!  After the week we have had, hearing them laughing right now is truly a blessing.  We have definitely had to navigate some rough curves in the road this week.  Most of these rough curves were caused by one main element:  busy-ness.

Busy-ness leads to exhaustion which leads to poorly behaved children and a cranky mommy which leads to a rough school time.  This is another time when homeschooling becomes a true blessing.  If Lukas had spent his days in a conventional classroom this week, I seriously doubt much learning would have taken place in his little mind, but since we were home and able to plan our days to accomodate bad attitudes, frustrating tasks(they shouldn't have been frustrating, but were because of his generally bad attitude), and sleepiness, much learning took place.  We were doing sight words during lunch and reading in the evening at times, but I know that he retained what he needed to, which is what is important.

Ava has also had a little trouble this week.  She has decided to try to skip her nap each day, and each time she manages to do so ends in a frustrating day for all of us.  However, she has been accident free again today, which is amazing.  We'll soon be entering a diaper-free universe!  Woo hoo!

I have also been tired this week, which makes dealing with cranky children all the more difficult, but we have managed.  And now that I hear them playing together and laughing their little heads off, I have to say that I have nothing to complain about.  My children bring me joy, and I thank God for them each and every day.

Oh...I must end with this funny story...

Last week Eric was mowing the lawn with both kids in tow.  They were "helping" him, of course.  Eric found an earthworm on the ground and showed it to the kids.  Ava proceeded to pick up the worm (after asking for permission) and then carried it around for 10 minutes.  The humorous part of this story is that Lukas wouldn't touch the worm or get close enough to it to even really get a good look at it.  Ava kept chasing him around the yard saying, "Lucious!  Look at the worm!  Is justa worm Lucious!  Touch it!  Touch it!"  He ran around the yard screaming his little head off because he did not want to have anything to do with the worm.  This entire incident is completely opposite of what anyone would expect, I know, which is what made it truly humorous to us.

In re-reading this entry, I can see that my thoughts don't necessarily go together, but that makes sense with the week I've had.  I hope you've enjoyed this entry anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment