30 October 2006

Time Out

I am the kind of person who has to get things done.  If I start a project, then I finish it.  I'm not saying this to brag.  I'm telling you this because I can sometimes go way overboard trying to get something finished so that I can simply be done with it.  That means I will do things like ask my husband to cook dinner, send the kids to their rooms to play, and ignore the pile of laundry that keeps growing bigger and bigger in my laundry room.  Basically, I take completing a task to the extreme.

That is why when my little girl came to me yesterday afternoon and said "Mama, will you play with me?"  I was suddenly overwhelmed with guilt.  I was working on school plans and preparing for the week.  I had planned to make my grocery list, run to the grocery store, and then I was planning to finish some other tasks I had on my to-do list.  I thought to myself, "When was the last time I just sat and played with my precious little girl?"  Since I couldn't answer that question, I knew what I must do.

I stopped everything that was on my to-do list and went upstairs to feed Ava's baby.  We changed her clothes and gave her a bottle.  We rocked her and put her in her cradle.  Ava turned out the light so that she could sleep, and we pretended to take a nap too.  Then we went downstairs and painted our toenails a pretty shade of orange, and Ava had her first manicure as well.  It was so much fun, and that is time I will cherish forever.

Did everything on my to-do list get done?  Of course it did, just a little later than planned.  Sometimes a mommy has to know what's more important, and spending mother-daughter time with Ava yesterday was definitely important.  I know I made the right choice yesterday, and while I know that the daily grind of tasks and responsibilities will still get in the way at times, I pray that I remember to take time to spend with my little cherubs while they are still small and want to spend time with me.  Afterall, there may come a day when I am begging them to spend time with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment