30 December 2006

Update

We went to Zanesville to see Grandpa today.  I have to say that he didn't look good.  I've never seen Grandpa look bad before.  As I said a couple weeks ago, he has never been sick until now, and it seems like everything is hitting him all at once.  

When we got to the hospital, my parents were there.  Ava looked at them, took her coat off and said,"Grandpa is sick, so we're here to see him."  Then she marched into his room, sat on my mom's lap and started telling Grandpa about every single Christmas gift she got.  When she ran out of gifts, she told him about her swingset and slide and who knows what else.  It was so sweet and adorable to see my tiny little girl sitting next to my grandfather talking away.  Grandpa loves kids.  He had 10 of his own, so I guess he should!  

I talked to my Uncle Frank for a while.  He actually lives with Grandpa, so he has the best info.  I point-blank asked him what the doctor's have said Grandpa's prognosis is and what the radiation treatments are supposed to do.  His answer is basically that they don't know.  They are hoping that the radiation will kill the bone cancer, and after that, he will start taking chemo treatments for the prostate cancer.  They are not the same type of cancer, so they aren't treating them the same.  No one knew that before he explained it to me today.    I am not usually so blunt, but I had to know a little more info.  Vague answers and sugar-coating things isn't helping anyone at this point.  Maybe it is helping others, but I would rather try to prepare my heart and mind for whatever is to come...though I'm not sure you can ever be totally prepared for some things.

So...the good news is that Grandpa's sugar levels are just above 90 now, and he is maintaining that level even though he has almost no appetite.  However, they are pretty sure that he has pneumonia now, which he didn't have prior to all of this.  He was unable to even get his radiation treatment yesterday because of the issue with his blood sugar.    He is very weak, and he's in a lot of pain because of the bone cancer.  It was very difficult for me to watch my once strong grandfather have to be helped to roll onto his side in bed, but I'm sure it wasn't nearly as difficult for me as it was for him.  I can't imagine what is going through his mind.  He's never spent the night in the hospital before this.

Thank you for your prayers.  Please continue to pray.  I truly appreciate it.  And pray for peace in the family in general because there is always some kind of family drama going on.  Now is no exception to that.  I appreciate all of you who are reading this and all of you who will pray!

No comments:

Post a Comment