12 February 2007

Weekend Highlights

I had the greatest day yesterday, and a wonderful weekend in general.  I spent Friday evening at church until midnight scrapbooking, watching movies, and having our monthly girls night.  I was there for almost 5 hours and only finished 3 pages.  Can you believe that?  I did A LOT of chatting I guess!
On Saturday afternoon, we headed to Coshocton for my grandfather's 85th birthday party.  He looked much better than when I last saw him, which is when he was in the hospital.  I'm not sure he was really up for a party, but he was a good sport.   Ava sat with him for quite a while, which was super-sweet.  Grandpa actually shed a tear when Eric told him that Ava prays for him every night.   I think if we actually lived closer and saw him more regularly, Ava and her Great Grandpa would be best buddies!
It was nice to see many of my relatives that I haven't seen in years.  My Aunt Pat was visiting from Arizona, which doesn't happen very often.  It was great to see her and most of my uncles (my dad has 7 brothers and one sister).  One of my cousins who I hadn't seen since 1999 was there and seemed to be doing so much better than she was back then, which was nice to see.  My kids had a great time hanging out with all their second and third cousins!  It was like a big family reunion!
After the party, we headed to my parents where my mom made me a birthday dinner and a jello cake, which is what she has made for me since I was a little girl.  I'm not a birthday cake fan, but I love jello cake!  It was nice to celebrate my birthday with my parents.  I haven't had that opportunity in years!  I also got to babysit Maia for the evening, which was a nice treat!
We skipped church yesterday because Lukas was sick in the middle of the night (yes, Michelle, we also visited the land of bodily fluids), but right afterwards, he seemed fine.  I didn't want to risk having him around other kids though.  Now both kids are well and have been at Eric's parents since about 3:00 yesterday afternoon!  My mother-in-law has been asking to have the kids for a day, and we had planned on today.  Then Eric asked her to babysit yesterday so that he could take me out for my birthday, so she volunteered to keep them all night.  She didn't have to ask twice! 
This is the flexibility that homeschooling provides.  Since Lukas had school on the 2 days that most of the schools in the state were closed last week and will be having school next Monday on President's Day, I can choose when we need a day off according to how we're doing or what we need rather than follow the school's calendar.  I love it!  Of course, I love a lot of things about homeschooling besides this!
Anyway, my husband and kids loved, loved, loved, on me yesterday!  They woke me up with cards and presents.  The kids bought me a 2 DVD set of Everafter and The Princess Bride, and Eric bought me an Archaelogical Study Bible that I had asked for back before Christmas.  He also took me to dinner at The Cheesecake Factory (pineapple upsidedown cheesecake...YUM!) and a movie(We saw The Last Sineater ...GO SEE THIS MOVIE!).  It was such a great day!  I felt very blessed and very loved at the end of the day, which is what birthdays should be all about!
Today, since I am home alone, I'm going to head upstairs, spend some time in the Word and then pull out my scrapbooking stuff again!  I'm so looking forward to this!
Oh...I forgot my regular digital camera when I went to the party, so I took some pics using Eric's phone since he actually has a memory card in his phone.  I'll try to post a smilebox tonight or tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment