17 July 2007

Nothing but Ridiculous

If you are a parent, you must admit, you have said something really stupid and out loud to your children.  Haven't we all?  I'm not talking about ridiculous things that start out with phrases like "When I was your age" or "Back in the day."  I'm talking about really crazy things that will just never happen or make no sense whatsoever.   Come on, you know what I'm talking about.  Yesterday was my day.  I said something so ridiculous that even I started laughing as soon as the words were out of my mouth. 
The back story is that our stereo in our van hasn't been working for well over a month now, and since "he who shall not be named" has now totaled two vehicles in the past month, we haven't taken it to the shop.  It's just the radio, right?  We can live without it until we get another car.
My children have taken this opportunity to produce every single annoying noise that the human body is capable of making while driving 65 mph on the interstate.  I love my children.  You all know that.  BUT, this has got to be one of the most obnoxious things they do.  I cannot stand loud, indescribable noises while I'm driving.  So this is what was happening yesterday morning as we were driving to my chiropractor appointment.  Eric was with us (since he needed a lift to work).  I had asked the children to use quiet, indoor voices and not make obnoxious noises.  Maybe 30 seconds passed before my always perfectly behaved children were loud and obnoxious again.  I know you all thought they were perfect all the time, right?
That's when it happened.  I looked in my little mirror and saw both sets of eyes looking at me as I said a little too loudly, "STOP making noise.  Stop being loud.  Stop doing any of the things that you know are annoying, AND don't do any of these things again until (pause), until Jesus comes back."  That's right..."until Jesus comes back."  I started laughing before I even turned to look at Eric who also started laughing.  This was not one of my best parenting moments, but hey, we all have to be able to laugh at ourselves, right?  I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens the next time we're in the van together driving 65 mph around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment