MEET MY BIBLE
I realize that this is last week's assignment, but I haven't managed to write about it until today. For those of you who are new to my blog, this is just something fun I subscribe to that gives me something different to write about from time to time. I hope you enjoy it!
- How old is your Bible? a few months shy of 14 years
- Why did you choose this Bible? It was a graduation gift from my church.
- Do you highlight/mark passages in your Bible? I probably highlight more than anyone I know (and probably more than most of the people you know too). It makes it so much easier to find a passage when I need it, especially since I tend to not be great at remembering exactly where to find a verse.
- If so, what is your system for marking passages? I don't have much of a system. If it is a verse or passage that I want to find easily in the future or that makes a strong statement for me, then I highlight it. There are many verses in my Bible that are highlighted and marked with a date in the margin. I do this when there is something specific going on in my life that the verse applies to. When I read that passage again months or years later, this method allows me to reflect upon my faith journey and reminds me of the many storms God has brought me through as well as the many blessings in my life. It really is a very rewarding little system.
- Do you have notebooks to record things? I don't really have a notebook, but I have been keeping a journal since I was in junior high school.
- If so, how many and what do you record? How many? I don't even know how many journals I have filled. We're talking about 20 years here! I originally used my journal as a diary until midway through high school. That is when I started using it as a prayer journal as well (although, if I were to pick one of those high school journals up, I am certain I would find some crazy high school girly stuff in there!). Now I use my journal to record my most private thoughts and reflections, favorite Bible verses, personal Bible study notes, and poems and worship songs I have written. It is the story of my life and my faith journey.
- Where is your favorite spot to read your Bible? A couple of months ago, we finally set up the family room the way I want it. That's where I am right now! Our computer, piano, bookshelves, my desk, and a recliner are all in this room. I come downstairs during the kids' afternoon rest time, turn on a favorite worship or instrumental CD, and then I read my Bible, journal, and spend time in prayer. It is absolutely ideal for me. This has become my favorite room in the house (although, it is a bit cold, so I have to keep a blanket down here).
- Are there any special thoughts about your Bible you want to share? I have a Life Application NIV Bible, and I love it. If the binding ever wears out and I am forced to get a new one, I will miss this one. I hope to have this Bible with me for the rest of my life. I do enjoy reading other versions from time to time, particularly New Living, The Message, and The New Century versions, but the NIV is my favorite to use for personal Bible study, reading, and Bible memory. If you CLICK HERE you can see a few photos of my most precious book (if you know me, then you know that most books are precious to me). If you do check out the photos, then you'll notice the beautiful cover I have on my Bible. I bought this at a Bible outlet in Pigeon Forge, TN when we were on our honeymoon almost 10 years ago.