02 September 2008

First Day of School 2008

The first day of school 2008 has come and gone.  Lukas has officially started 2nd grade, and Ava is loving pre-K.  I don't know why the first day always seems to take longer even though we actually do less than what will be normal for the school year.  It took us about 3 hours to accomplish school today including a 20 minute break, which is long for us.  I think that once we're back into a routine, we'll be closer to 2 1/2 hours.  We'll get there!

We started our day with our first day of school breakfast.  The kids picked pancakes and sausage, definitely not your everyday breakfast in our house.  We started new routines with them today.  After breakfast, they got ready for school and did devotions on their own.  Ava looked through a picture Bible for those of you who are wondering, and Lukas actually insisted on reading a little devotional and looking up the scripture to go with it.  He's getting better and better at this as long as he can find the table of contents page!

We are finishing a summer read-aloud, Alice in Wonderland, so we started with that today.  Other topics introduced or covered today include the meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance, a timeline, math, first day of school journal, and our new book basket.  I love the My Father's World book basket.  This week the books are about The Pledge of Allegiance and Vikings, which we'll be studying later this week.  I also stuck a Nate the Great book in the basket knowing that Lukas would choose it even though it is such an easy read for him.  It is the beginning of the school year, so I figured it would help to create a positive start.  He read half the book to me today, and I'm guessing he'll finish it tomorrow.

Ava is using a BOZ pre-school book that I picked up on clearance, and she loved it today!  She was an angel during school today.  I am so proud of her.  She was with us 99% of the time today, which is a first.  She kept herself busy with school time activities and pages from her BOZ book that I planned for her to do.  I am excited to see how much she learns this year!  I had a ton of fun with her today!

We took lots of pictures today, more than we'll ever need, but it was fun!  If you are a homeschooling mom who teaches at your dining room table or a similar scenario, check out the tote I got at Wal-mart last week(I took 3 photos at different angles because I love it so much).  It has pockets and space for all of our daily school supplies in it.  I LOVE it!  It comes in pink/brown, blue/brown, and black/white.  They were out of blue, and Lukas would not hear of the dreaded color pink for anything for school, so black it is for us.  I'm going to pick up a pink one for lia sophia supplies.  Seriously, pencils, colored pencils, crayons, markers, dry-erase markers, eraser, 3 pair of scissors, glue, glue sticks, etc...it is all there.  I stick it on the table when school starts, and I stick it back on the shelf after.  I love this tote!!!

Check out the photos HERE.  I hope that my fellow homeschooling families have had or will have successful first days of school!  I can't wait to hear or read all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment