22 November 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Corn Casserole

T-2 days until Thanksgiving. I have the awesome privilege of hosting my parents, my Uncle Frank and family friends of ours which means we'll have 13 people including the four of us. I can't tell you how excited I am about this! I love hosting Thanksgiving dinner. It's my favorite holiday to host. Maybe it's the focus of the day; maybe it's the time with family and friends. I don't know, but I know I love this holiday.

And because I know that everyone who buzzes by my blog wants to know my soap-box opinions, I must say this (promise to keep it short so we can get onto the recipe). Thursday is THANKSGIVING, a day set aside for centuries to give thanks to God, a national holiday declared by President Lincoln for doing so. Just say no to calling it turkey day. Please, and thank you.

But enough about that. This is my Tasty Tuesday post, so let's get on with the story behind the recipe. This is actually my mother-in-law's recipe with the addition of 1/4 C of sugar because my family always ate a similar dish called scalloped corn with a little sweetness. You could also use honey if you prefer. In fact, I use honey as a substitute for sugar in all kinds of dishes (that's for another post...moving on).

The reason I am sharing this recipe is that I believe that creating a great Thanksgiving feast requires balance. Last week, I posted my Sweet Potato Casserole recipe, which is a little more complex. This recipe is easy-peasy. Dump and pour. Stir. Toss it in the oven. Raise your glasses to keeping it simple!

Corn Casserole

1 can whole kernal corn (drained)
1 can creamed corn
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix
2 eggs
1/2 C butter
1 C sour cream
1/4 C sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Pour into a deep, 3-quart casserole dish (I use my large pyrex bowl). Bake at 350 degrees for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Variation: Use a can of mexi-corn in place of the whole kernal corn to serve on the side of a Mexican feast.

That's it! Let me know if you give it a try. This is also a great dish to take to carry-in dinners. Everyone enjoys it and you won't have any leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment