29 June 2012

The Story of our Wedding Part Two

It was so, so hot that day. The sun was blazing  and keeping everything toasty; it was the kind of summer day during which you can see the heat in the air. My soon-to-be sister-in-law, Cathy, came into the dressing room and snapped a photo of me standing there in my underthings (crinoline, no dress, and my veil hanging from my hair) with my arms held straight at my sides so that I wouldn't sweat. It is one of my favorite photos of that day, just like she told me it would be.

I finished dressing for the ceremony, and we took some photos without Eric so that we wouldn't see each other before the ceremony. The rest of the photos were taken after the ceremony. We got some beautiful shots of the two of us in the gardens at Roscoe Village. It was hot, but it was a beautiful day for picture taking!

The ceremony was lovely. I know that I am biased, but aren't I supposed to be? We planned and planned and nit-picked every detail, and it came together so perfectly. I grasped my daddy's arm, the double doors in the back of the sanctuary were opened, and we stepped into the aisle where the most beautiful man I ever knew stood awaiting my arrival at the altar.

Every bride should be met at the altar by a man with the exact look on his face which Eric had that afternoon. He spoke no words, but he said, "You are the most gorgeous person in the world, the loveliest angel I have ever seen." I felt beautiful when I saw the look on his face that day. It was like everyone else in the room disappeared, and it was only the two of us in that moment, our eyes met, drawing us to each other.

I don't care if that sounds cheesy. It is how it happened. I am a hopeless romantic.

The ceremony was everything I dreamed it to be. There was music. Then there was more music. A flute choir played Bach's Sheep May Safely Graze as a prelude. Pachelbel's Canon in D played as the wedding party entered the sanctuary. Julie, who accompanied for both of us for various college recitals, played the piano while Ashley, another friend, trumpeted "All Creatures of Our God and King" and Dad walked me down the aisle. Two friends, Christy and Dan, sang several songs. An original song Dan wrote for the seating of our mothers (oh so beautiful) that he debuted at our wedding before singing it again as his own mother and mother-in-law were seated at his wedding two months later, the classic wedding favorite, The Lord's Prayer, and a duet, Through All the Years.

Eric and I sang to each other. It was a song called Faithful Friend, which we both love so much. I first heard it as I sat next to my friend, Eric, at Lakeview Wesleyan Church one Sunday. Eric didn't know that we were going to get married yet, but I knew that morning as I sat next to him in church that we would sing that very song at our wedding. Once Eric decided that I would be his bride, he agreed that it was a perfect song for us to sing to each other. I always dreamed of singing with my new husband at my wedding, and I am pleased to tell you that I married a man who is an incredible singer and who was able to make that dream come true!

We took communion together. We read our vows to each other, which we wrote ourselves. Eric kissed his bride. Sigh. It was perfect. We handed a single, red rose to each of our mothers. The Hallelujah Chorus began to play, and we waltzed down the aisle together, husband and wife.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment