16 March 2014

TSW Book Club March 2014: The Wheat Belly Cookbook

Title: The Wheat Belly Cookbook

Author: William Davis, MD
I read this book in: Paperback Express read from the library (I only had 2 weeks!!!)

My personal thoughts on the book: I sincerely wish I had longer than two weeks with this book, and I plan to purchase my own copy. If you live a low-carb, paleo, clean eating, or gluten-free lifestyle, this book is packed with information and recipes that fit all those similar-but-slightly-different eating plans. Probably the first third of the book gives you an abbreviated version of Wheat Belly, and that is followed by 150 nutrient dense recipes.

My one beef with the book is that I'm not yet familiar with some of the suggested sweeteners in the recipes, but I'll visiting my local health food store to get a little more information. The book advocates some artificial sweeteners as well as natural carb-free sweeteners. I don't think this is a deal breaker for me since I view recipes as a guideline and not a rule. For instance, I made blueberry pancakes yesterday using the Wheat Belly recipe, but I added a little honey instead. They were perfect and still much, much lower in carbs than a typical pancake (and they were THE best pancakes I have had since going gluten-free last summer!). When all was said and done, I wrote out several recipes on recipe cards and then decided there were just too many. This is a must-own book for me!

Here's a link where you can find/purchase this book: The Wheat Belly Cookbook on AMAZON

A favorite quote from the book: It's not a specific quote, but I love that he refers to our modern version of wheat as "Frankenwheat." There is so much truth in that!

Check out other TSW Book Club posts, or, better yet, join us! Click HERE!

No comments:

Post a Comment